Saturday, September 28, 2013

All Pro Dad's kick-off

Hi, kids!

This morning we launched our first All Pro Dad's event for the year. What a great time it was! If you can join us later, we'll have another event in late October and one in early December. Y'all are welcome!

It was an early morning -- I got up with my dad and brother at 6:30 am to leave for church and help make the pancakes and bacon. I was co-in charge of the bacon while my dad was in charge of the pancakes. They all turned out great -- crispy bacon (my favorite) and fluffy flapjacks!

Then our friends turned up about 8 am. We had a great speaker, Brett Rodgers who leads up the University of Texas Young Life Program. He gave us some strong words of encouragement like being thankful for what we receive all the time.

Next we went outside to play some games. Here's a picture of our inaugural group:



Pastor Ted showed us how to make a home-made slingshot to be used to launch water balloons. We went out to the field to launch water balloons at some of the dad's. I was the first kid to hit a parent (sorry Mr. McLatcher!) -- woo-hoo!

Then we played an all-time favorite: kick-ball. I love that game.

Now we're at home, relaxing, playing, watching my favorite TV show: Duck Dynasty. Today's show had an alligator who found its way into their shed. That's like the time a rattle snake showed up on our drive-way. It was sunning itself and we didn't know how we were going to get rid of it. I sure didn't want to ride over it with my bike! Mom called the police and get them to use their snake trap to move it somewhere else, but before the police arrived the snake started to slither. Yikes! So my dad pounced on it with a garden rake and whacked it a couple of times behind its head to kill it. Here you can see how long it was. That's my brother Andrew giving it a close look!






We're fixing some great bbq for supper tonight. We're going to have pork ribs again, and some pork tenderloin. I helped my dad start on the pork tenderloin last night. We put them in a bowl of brine (salty water with some herbs and spices) to let the meat get all tender and marinated. Then today so far we made up the rub to put on the meat. Pretty soon we'll light the charcoal, get some hickory wood going on the grill, and get the smoke breezing!

Ok my friends, I'll check in again later and let you know how the bbq turned out! Come and Take it!

Your friend,

--James


No comments:

Post a Comment