Saturday, September 14, 2013

St. Louis style ribs: Come and Take It!

Hi, kids!

It's been a really fun weekend so far! It sure is nice when school lets out for the weekend! Last night some neighbor friends came over and we played kickball while my dad grilled hot dogs and sausages. Grilling was a lot of fun and we played with our neighbors until the stars came out, but I really wanted to try barbecuing again. Among my favorites: ribs. So we made plans to barbeque ribs for Saturday night.

We had a full day so far. I had to get some new running shoes in the morning for my flag football season that starts up tomorrow. Then we met friends from church for brunch -- yummy! Then a friend from Scouts had a birthday party at Jumpoline. Finally we went shopping for ribs!



I found a Memphis-style rub recipe to go along with the pork ribs we bought. You can see me picking out all the spices

and getting my hands messy getting the ribs all ready!



My dad got the charcoal and oak wood ready while I put the rub together. Once the temperature was ready at about 225 degrees Fahrenheit I was ready to put the ribs on!



My dad helped me move the ribs around, and while the ribs were smoking I played some more with my neighbors. My dad and I threw the football around so I could practice up for my flag football season starting tomorrow. After a couple of hours I put some corn on the cob on the grill, and we put the ribs in some tin foil with juice inside, so that we could keep the ribs really tender and not dried out.
 
The ribs turned out great! I put some barbeque sauce on one rack of the ribs for some extra flavor. Now for the best part: we have leftovers! I'm hoping we'll have that for supper tomorrow after we get home from our flag football game. I love playing football -- this will be my second year, and fourth season as we play each fall, winter and spring. My dad is my coach, and I have a few friends from Scouts and school on my team, so I can't wait to get back on the field! My dad was asking me what positions I like to play, and I think I like them all. My dad gets me to play them all too -- quarterback, running back, safety -- so I can try out all sorts of plays and options.

Ok friends, I hope you enjoy ribs as much as I do: Come and Take It!



Your friend,

--James







No comments:

Post a Comment