Sunday, September 29, 2013

After dinner report: yummy St. Louis ribs & pork tenderloin

Hi, kids!

Well I must say that the ribs and pork tenderloin turned out awesome! After my dad and I got the grill all heated up and smokey (we aimed to keep the temperature at around 225 degrees Fahrenheit) I got ready to put the pork ribs on. I made up another Memphis-style rub to put on the St. Louis cut ribs.


We had all afternoon to play in the backyard, run around with friends from the neighborhood, and watch the barbecue work its magic. Dad kept an eye on the meat and listened to his favorite music like last time (some more Johnny Cash, Mumford and Sons, and The Digital Age). We counted on six hours that the ribs needed to be smoked. About halfway through the six hours I pulled the pork tenderloins out of the 'fridge. Here's a photo of them in the bowl of salty-water brine that I put them in the day before.

I put the same Memphis-style rub on the two pork tenderloins, and got the ready for the grill, putting them next to the pork ribs already cooking nicely!

We kept adding some mesquite wood chips to the charcoal, to give the pork a nice smokey and sweet flavor. After about six hours we were ready to eat! I pulled off the meat and doesn't it look great?

My mom made up some mashed potatoes (one of my favorites) and brownies for a special-treat dessert (another favorite, especially if they come with vanilla ice cream!). To top the day off we got to eat our supper in the family room watching a movie: Escape from Planet Earth. That was funny -- it was about creatures from outer space who got stuck on Earth and had to escape to get back home and to their families.

It's Sunday now and that means church, flag football, and friends. This morning my brother Andrew got a new Bible. He's a third-grader for Sunday School, and that's the year our church gives the kids Bibles. Very cool. Then we came home and mom made lunch. Guess what she made? An omelette, and it was actually pretty good. Better than the one my dad tried to make last weekend when Mom was away at her church Pilgrimage retreat.

I was supposed to play flag football this afternoon. But we got a rain-out! Can you believe it? It actually rained pretty hard last night. I heard at church we got about 2 and a half inches of rain during the night. All here in Texas! So the football field is like a mud bowl, so the leaders decided it would be better for us to not slip and slide and maybe get hurt.

We're chilaxing here at home now. I have the afternoon to play with friends, my brother, and hang out. My dad is thinking of making a special fish soup for supper, and Mom's doing laundry. Pretty good day!

See you soon, my friends!

--James




No comments:

Post a Comment